Interesting Facts about Estonia

CIEE Tallinn

With a population akin to the city of San Diego or Dallas, Estonia unfolds a captivating blend of natural wonders, rich history, and cutting-edge digital governance. Here are some interesting facts about Estonia: 

Estonia is a digital society and a leader in E-governance

Buckle up for Estonia, a global e-governance pioneer. Bureaucracy takes a back seat here. 99% of state services are available online. Estonia was the first e-government in the world and offers e-residency to people from all over the world. Estonia was also the first country to adopt an online political voting system.

Estonia ranks third in having the most startups per capita in Europe

Estonia is one of the leading forces in Europe when it comes to startups and unicorns. It is the birthplace of notable unicorns such as Skype, Playtech, Bolt (formerly Taxify), Wise (formerly TransferWise), Pipedrive, ID.me, Zego, Gelato, Veriff, and Glia.

The Old Town of Tallinn is one of the best-preserved Hanseatic town centres in the world

Enter Tallinn, Estonia's medieval gem. City rights granted in the 13th century set the stage for cobblestone tales, influenced by the Danes, Swedes, Germans, and the currents of tsarist and Soviet Russia. The result? A captivating historical mosaic etched in every lane.

We have over 2000 islands, and more than half of Estonia is covered with forests

Imagine over 2000 islands unveiling rural coastal culture and beautiful forests covering more than half of Estonia's land. Estonia is also ranked fourth globally for air quality!

Singing is truly important in the history of Estonia

Estonia's history is rich and diverse, spanning from the era of Vikings to the influence of German, Swedish, Danish, and Russian leaders. Established as an independent state in 1918, Estonia faced a challenging period under Soviet occupation after World War II. However, in 1991, Estonia reclaimed its independence through the 'Singing Revolution', drawing inspiration from its long-standing song festival tradition. Estonia also boasts one of the largest repositories of folk songs globally, with documented records of approximately 133,000 melodies.

Estonia's vibrant tapestry awaits, offering a symphony of experiences that transcend time and tradition!