5 Things I Learned Studying Abroad

By: Grace Blendonohy

With just a month left studying abroad, I have listed the five most important takeaways I have learned during my three months in Europe. Hopefully, these things will help you get the most out of your time abroad! 

1. Pack Light for weekend trips 

I brought one carry-on and two checked bags when I moved to Prague. The second checked bag was also half empty, so I had enough room to bring home everything I had bought during my time abroad. However, I found myself overpacking way too much during my weekend trips. That being said, it’s essential to research before attending each new weekend trip. Consider the weather, the city's geographical layout, and how many nights you will be there to determine how much you need to pack. Also, airlines sometimes charge you extra for a carry-on suitcase, so a backpack can often help you pack lightly and save money. 

2. Make sure to bring cash

When you study abroad in Europe, each country has its own rules and regulations on currency and cash. For example, the Czech Republic is not on the Euro, so when I visited other countries, I would have to withdraw cash from my debit card, resulting in paying additional charges for cash withdrawal. With that being said, I suggest making sure you come abroad with a good amount of cash so you can exchange it at banks here to avoid the high exchange fees that you would get from using your debit card to withdraw. 

3. Learn a few phrases of the language of each country you visit

I have been to eight different countries in Europe abroad. Luckily, most people I spoke to knew English. However, there were a few times when the language barrier became a problem, and learning a few phrases before you visit a new country or city will enhance your time in that place. 

4. Read the news of your host country 

One of the best ways I immersed myself in Czech culture was by becoming a frequent subscriber to the country’s newspaper, Expats.cz. This Czech publication provided an array of news information, from lifestyle to politics. Learning about my host country's social and political atmosphere enabled me to understand the Czech Republic’s norms and thus helped me assimilate into my home abroad easier. 

5. Bring a planner with you to write down everything you have done 

When you study abroad, you do so many things, so it can be challenging to keep track/remember. Something I implemented in my daily routine abroad is writing down places I visited, restaurants I ate at, etc.. Not only does this action serve as a memento to everything I have done abroad, but now, if I know anyone who wants advice or things to do in a place I have visited, I have the best advice!